The Importance of Internationalisation
As the W3C states: “Definitions of internationalization vary… Internationalization is the design and development of a product, application or document content that enables easy localization for target audiences that vary in culture, region, or language.”
Smart devices enable app developers to create experiences for a wide audience, embracing multicultural diversity and reaching the maximum amount of users.
The Liquid Gears Platform gives you the tools to localise your communication solutions and you need to not limit yourself to a single language or market:
- Design your apps with multi-language interfaces.
- Localise dates and times, UI components and make your interface language-aware.
- Translate your documents professional tools and services.
- Automatically display content to a user in the language they prefer.
- Use standard file formats throughout the entire process for maximum flexibility in workflows.
Out of the Box Localisation
Thanks to the Atomica UI System and Integrated Web Apps UI components are readily available with support for many languages.
Apps created using our generator tool are enabled for localisation by default: interface components are automatically displayed in the locale of the user’s device with dates, times, currency etc. correctly formatted.
Translate Your Documents
Thanks to Carbon Editor’s support for translations, you can easily export documents created in one language, import translation files into your favourite tool (for example Transifex) and re-import translations as part of a new document in Carbon Editor.
This is a simple workflow, easily implemented which let’s you keep your content structured.
Open Formats: No Locked-in Content
Documents in Carbon Editor and Ubiquity Dashboard are imported or exported as XML or HTML. Similarly, all translations are handled in either:
- Gettext (.po files): a universally recognised plain text format that will let you integrate with any translation workflow or third-party tool or service.
- JSON: for custom UI translations, Gettext files get converted into JSON which is used by your Integrated Web Apps code.
As you are always in control of your Documents and Apps code, you are free to implement any workflow you desire to manage your translations.
For more information and technical details about Transica, please refer to our Resources.