With its commitment to improving clinical outcomes using world-class digital technologies, the Gold Coast Hospital and Health Service sought an industry partner to co-design and co-develop a prototype Patient Journey Tracker which had the customer and patient experience at the core of all activities.
The Varsity Lakes Day Surgery Hospital was recently commissioned by GCHHS to undertake minor surgery procedures that did not require the patients to stay at the hospital overnight. Since the patients were reliant on their carers to provide transport and support, there was the constant challenge of providing up-to-date information to carers due to the varying length of surgical procedures. Responding to queries consumed the valuable time of nurses and administrative staff, causing work disruption and negatively impacting overall efficiency and productivity.
Using the Liquid Gears platform, a fully functional Proof-of-Concept (PoC) was delivered that included a full and flexible UI/UX kit linked to a library of pre-coded, themeable, React interface components. The platform utilizes an integrated approach to test design ideas within a technical environment’s sandbox integrations with health information systems. This integrated platform approach delivers truly testable health solutions quickly, flexibly, efficiently, economically and most importantly, that validate design ideas iteratively, cooperatively and technically.
The prototype demonstrated the ability to engage carers regarding the status of patients during the completion of various surgical procedures within GCHHS. It included:
- Custom patient engagement pathways that align with the patient journey and communicate this to the carer.
- A tailored communications app on mobile and tablet devices for patients and their selected friends and family (circle of trust).
- A personalised content stream containing documents, videos, and messages sourced from Content Bank.
- A tailored administration dashboard for managing content, messaging, patients and members of their circle of trust.
- A mechanism for triggering patient’s progress through their journey and subsequent automatic notifications to members of the circle of trust based on integration with GCHHS information systems.
A fully functional PoC was produced using the Liquid Gears platform which validated not only the UI/UX approach but also the underlying technical assumptions; with the project now moving on to production.